Industry’s Research Priorities:
- Evaluate the use of probiotics on day-old chick vigor.
- Test the efficacy of Clostridium vaccines on day-old broiler chicks and it would be good to test their efficacy.
- Compare the effectiveness of antibiotics in day-old broiler chicks for example, penicillin versus gentamycin.
- Evaluate Cocci vaccines in day-old broiler chicks and their effectiveness in Atlantic Canada.
- Evaluate products to reduce E. Coli challenges in day-old broiler chicks – applied either to the day old broiler chick or used in the breeder barn.
- Evaluate the effect of brooding temperatures on the performance of broiler chicks. Commercial experience is indicating that today’s genetics require a higher brooding temperature than 10 or 15 years ago to optimize weight gain and alleviate stress on the chicks.